The Quarries Throwdown - May 28, 2016

Moderator: chris young

Re: The Quarries Throwdown - May 28, 2016

Postby Andy Powell » Thu May 26, 2016 6:44 pm

We're down to just 11 spots left and with a few verbal commitments and some day-of registrations, it's looking like we will probably sell out! Don't wait though. Avoid the $5 day-of fee and make sure you're eligible for the player/caddy competition by getting your registration in by noon tomorrow!
Andy Powell

Postby Andy Powell » Thu May 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Ok, so they're not actual Barre granite this year, but I still think the trophies are coming along nicely. Come get yourself one!
Only10 spots left!
Andy Powell

Postby Alpo » Fri May 27, 2016 6:53 am

Please carpool if you can. Parking is going to be a little tight. Please drive slow. We are in a residential area. See you in the morning?
My inner child is a mean little %*^~@#
Alpo

Postby Andy Powell » Fri May 27, 2016 7:05 am

Alpo wrote:Please carpool if you can. Parking is going to be a little tight. Please drive slow. We are in a residential area. See you in the morning?

What he said.

Only 7 spots left for pre-reg!

Watch this spot tonight for details of some of the other raffles, auctions, and giveaways we will be offering tomorrow.
Andy Powell

Postby chris young » Fri May 27, 2016 8:44 am

If you want to register for Gnomes tomorrow, you can do so by handing me cash.
chris young
Site Admin

Postby jsuds » Fri May 27, 2016 11:27 am

Andy - Big thanks for the guided tour of the course. See you tomorrow!
jsuds

Postby Andy Powell » Fri May 27, 2016 12:17 pm

Well pre-reg is officially closed with only one spot remaining, but if you show up tomorrow wanting to play, I think you'll find the TD willing to oblige. ;)

Final TD announcements coming tonight!
Andy Powell

Postby c_martin » Fri May 27, 2016 12:39 pm

Hey Andy, Joe Jones will be coming down with us to play. He didn't know until last night and didn't have time to make the pre reg.
c_martin

Postby Andy Powell » Fri May 27, 2016 9:32 pm

Well the course is playing great, and there were quite a few people getting in their practice rounds today. I will say that when you're not right next to the stone it will be hot out there. The bugs are also making an appearance, especially on the turn into the back nine. The key to having a great day tomorrow is going to be water, sunscreen, and bug spray. Don't forget these essentials!

Some side activities to look forward to tomorrow:

50/50 raffle for the course
Two Roads Brewing prize competition
Long drive contest
and of course the Player/Caddy competition which this year will be more of a team event I'm calling Mini Madness!

See you in the AM!
Andy Powell

Postby Andy Powell » Sun May 29, 2016 1:57 pm

What a day! This tournament has officially exceeded my wildest expectations.

First there were my expectations for the course. I am always amazed by this place. If your last time playing here was the original Fall Platter tournament, or even last year's Throwdown, then you have no idea what this place has become. Al Rosa and company have polished this truly unique piece of property into a perfect combination of challenge and scenic beauty.

Then there were my expectations for player interest. After a field of 45 last year, I had told the Parks and Rec board that I expected a crowd in the mid-50's this year. Instead 82 players made the trip out to Barre on a beautiful Saturday. Despite at least 4 or 5 big tournaments in the surrounding states and provinces, we drew in quality competition from Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massechusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Quebec, and of course Vermont. 11 of the 12 NEFA divisions were represented with only FPO remaining empty (Alex Benson I'm looking at you for next year). I can't wait to put on a good show for next year's 90 person (sellout?) crowd!

So now to the action:

Nick Gross crushed the old course record with an unofficially 1026 rated first round of 50 (-11)! He then held on for the win with a 56 in the 2nd.

Dario Re shot the old course record of 54 twice to come in a close 2nd place, but got some revenge with a 1 point win in Mini Madness at the awards ceremony.

Anne Lewis used a strong 1st round to beat out course designer and workhorse Al Rosa in MPM.

Daniel Marcus won MPG (and a "really cool trophy") in a one hole playoff with Davis Johnson and Karl Molitoris.

Chris Wentzell is determined to get a GMPS division title after coming so close last year in MA2. It shows as he took his second MA1 win in 3 events!

Alex Benson and Brian Betit put on shows of domination in FA1 and MM1 respectively. Alex's 58 from the white tees is also a new official course record!

Norm Peterson and James Hickman shot well in the single-player fields of MG1 and MJ1.

Mike Finn fought through to earn a 1 stroke victory over a 20 person MA2 field.

Beth Nordahl came through with the win in FA2 in her first tournament. Bush league represent!

Denver Heath signed up day-of and went on to grab the victory in an 8 person field in MA3.

It was great to see a lot of familiar faces out on the course yesterday. Kyle it was a blast to play with you for the first time in about 5 years (even if it was only for 12 holes). T.M. and crew, it was great to finally get to host you guys for a change! I also loved seeing all the new faces out there. I love it when a junior gets to walk in off the street, and walk out a champion. I love seeing women's divisions becoming more popular with local and travelling players. I love seeing the rec players who just thought that they'd give this tournament thing a try, and now because of one day of fun they're hooked! (We've got Garrett Worley for sure!) After all it was 9 years ago that I got hooked playing in a 5 person rec field at the Sugarbush Open. Yesterday 2 of those 5 rec players were your course designer/maintainer and your TD. Who knows where the new players from this weekend will be in 10 years!

Full results: http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/26845

Every year I'm learning at this, and I already know what I have to do to make next year even better. Are you ready for The Quarries Throwdown 2017?
Last edited by Andy Powell on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Powell

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments